Tuesday 15 May 2012

My Yearly Wardrobe Detox

My June tradition is to organise areas of my life which have become cluttered during the previous year. This annually starts and finishes with countless hours over three or four weekends being ankle deep in piles of clothes, shoes, scarves, bags and more accessories as I sort through my whole wardrobe. My wardrobe is separated into two sections, on my left is summer, and my right is winter, however, during each previous year they become intertwined as I get lazy and not keep everything in its right place, yet I know I want more room for the winter fashions, and winter being my favourite season for fashion, I need the extra space. And so, the great wardrobe overhaul has begun. Here are some tips for getting your own wardrobe in order (and keeping it like that until the New Year):

1. Take everything that’s in your wardrobe, drawers and wherever else you store your clothes and accessories out. Everything! Give the whole space a thorough clean with a damp cloth so its dust and dirt free. Make sure to then go over everything with a dry cloth as you don’t want your wardrobe to be left damp. Throw some scented sachets, or my mum’s tip, scented soaps to keep those nasty moths away! Also put some draw liners in your draws to protect your clothes and keep everything fresh.

2. Categorise. Start sorting through all your piles of clothes you’ve taken out. Sort them into three categories: ‘keep’, ‘not sure’ and ‘throw out’. (I like the make notes on the floor so I don’t get confused)

3. Organise. With the clothes you’re definitely ‘keeping’, check that everything is clean and in good condition, then you can start putting them back into your wardrobe in the most tidiest and organised way you can manage; that means colour codes, most favoured items where you can see them and reach them easiest. I stack all my shoe boxes down the bottom, sort hanging clothes by type and then colour, fold jeans and sweaters on the shelves and everything else in drawers. Buy good hangers to protect your clothes from stretching or changing their shape. I use padded hangers for silt and wool items, wooden or slim plastic for everything else. Never use wire hangers!

4. Declutter. Start sorting the two remaining piles (‘not sure’ and ‘throw out’). Go through the ‘not sure’ pile piece by piece and ask yourself: Do I really love this? Do I wear it? Does it honestly fit me and make me feel good? If you answered ‘no’ to any of these then move it to the ‘throw out’ pile. If you’re still not sure on an item, ask a trusted friend who will give you their honest opinion. If anything needs to be repaired or cleaned, do it that week.

5. Purge. With the last pile, either sell or donate anything that is still in good condition to a charity. You can even host a ‘swap party’ with your friends. Toss or recycle anything that is worn out or beyond repairing. Again, do this the same week so the piles don’t lurk in your house.

6. Maintain. You’ve got everything in order, to try your best to keep it that way (it takes the stress out of getting dressed each day). Only put things back in your wardrobe that are clean, in good condition, and that make you feel great.



Wardrobes are a girls dream. I love walking into my wardrobes every morning and just sitting on my poof and admiring all my clothes and the layout that allows me to see everything and have allocated areas for certain pieces. I've got some photos to share with you of the luxury wardrobes I wish to have in my dream home. (Let's hope my boyfriend agrees to the minimum of $35,000 we'll be spending)








No comments:

Post a Comment