Tuesday 8 May 2012

Your Travel Guide

I have a love/hate relationship with my suitcase. I love my suitcase when I am filling (over-stuffing) it with lovely clothing options for fun occasions: a chiffon sundress to be worn exploring the vineyards and small towns of Italy, a sheer printed cover-up for layering over a bright bikini in Bali, or a tailored coat and brown leather boots intended for a fantastic dinner in a chic New York City restaurant. Then, there are those times when I absolutely hate it: the last-minute work trips that consist of red-eye flights, minimal sleep, and forking over favourite beauty products at airport security because they exceed the 100ml limit.

Dressing stylishly while on the road involves creating outfits from a small array of pieces, which is when accessorising and styling tricks really come in handy. The idea is to bring a few key pieces to create the illusion of an entire wardrobe, and it is best if those items take up very little space. You can make the same button-down shirt work with jeans and boots for day that you can then wear tucked into a pencil skirt with heels for a nice dinner at night. And it's fun to figure this all out. Just make sure the outfits work before you get on the plane! Vacation is not the ideal time to test-drive a brand-new dress.






STRATEGIC PACKING
There are lots of variables to packing for a trip-where you're going, for how long, what you're doing when you get there, how you get there-but not matter the destination or purpose, the one constant of travelling in style is packing smartly.

There are two types of extreme packers: Those who bring their entire closet for a weekend getaway, and those who can assemble fourteen days' worth of outfits in Paris using only the contents of a carry-on. Everybody wants to be the master of the second scenario: (my dad is one of these people) Not only do you get to skip the baggage claim, but it's actually much easier to get dressed when you've thought it through beforehand and pared it down to the essentials. Plus, then you get to spend the first hour of your vacation enjoying the vacation rather than unpacking. And you get to pass the rest of your time just enjoying your trip, instead of sifting through your suitcase, figuring out what to wear.

Now I'm not a total minimalist: I will always bring more than I need. But after years of travelling I've become a decent packer, which wasn't always the case. I learned the hard way how important it is to make a list before opening up the suitcase and throwing things in.

As much as I would like to say I've grown up and changed my ways, I arrived in Bali not too long ago only to realise I didn't pack a single pair of swimmers. (Some things never change.) But while I haven't perfected the process, I have improved my packing strategy quite a bit. A few days before takeoff, I jot down a quick list of activities I have planed, along with key pieces required for each. When I go to Europe I want to plan each outfit for the day and photograph them so I'm not wasting a single second!

Once I've narrowed down my options, I make sure that everything is clean and easy to find. After I've outlined my outfits (with as much overlap of basic items as possible), I leave it alone until the night before, at which point it only takes about twenty minutes to get my bag together.




MAXIMIZING SPACE
There are a few techniques for cramming as much as humanly possible into a bag. I find that rolling my clothes works best, not only does it save space but also as a means for keeping it all relatively wrinkle free. Shoes should be separated from each other, and small items like socks and underwear should always be added last.



PREFLIGHT CHECKLIST
- Make sure you have key things like your credit cards and your passport.
- Drink lots of water at least a few hours before takeoff to help combat dehydration.
- Charge your iPod and laptop, and take your charger (most planes now have ports to charge technology).
- Wear shoes that are comfy and easy to slip off at security.
- Make sure you have all your cords and chargers, and anything else that's annoying, difficult and expensive to replace.



IN-FLIGHT ESSENTIALS
On-flight blankets aren't the most nicest of things, however you are likely to require one (planes are so cold!), so I try and bring my own. (No, I'm not crazy and bring an actual blanket.) The best option is a cashmere piece that's big enough to serve as a blanket on the flight, and small enough to multitask as a scarf at night. I also bring heavy-duty face cream and lip moisturiser. If it's a red-eye, warm socks and an eye-mask are essential.






WHAT TO PACK IF YOU'RE GOING TO...
- Work Trip (Three Days)

1 light trench coat (khaki, navy or black)
1 blazer (black or navy, which can also work as a lighter jacket)
1 pair of black pants (well fitted and hemmed to work with flats)
2 work shirts (white always looks crispest)
1 pencil skirt (black, grey or navy)
1 cashmere cardigan (black or navy)
1 pair of opaque tights (black)
1 pair of high heels (black)
1 pair of flats (black)
2 T-shirts
1 pair of comfortable walking flats
1 pair of jeans (for non-work dinners with friends)
2 scarves (to pull off the same look twice!)
1 black tote (spacious enough to serve as a carry-on)
Jewellery
Undergarments


- Weekend Getaway to Somewhere Cold

1 pair of boots (warm and winterproof)
1 pair of jeans
2 T-shirts
1 thermal top (to layer underneath T-shirts)
1 pair of comfortable, stretchy athletic pants (for putting on after any cold-weather activities)
2 blouses
1 cashmere sweater (for extra warmth)
1 down vest
1 winter coat
1 wooly hat
1 scarf
1 pair of gloves
undergarments (including long socks)







No comments:

Post a Comment